Posting ID: JP-002397630
The Laboratory Technician prepares and labels blood components; monitors component inventory to assure proper levels are maintained; receives orders for blood products and issues, packs and ships blood components; processes deliveries of blood products into inventory and maintains accurate and detailed records of all work performed. Performs quality control on equipment and blood components, reviews quality control and maintains equipment as required. May be required to operate delivery vehicle for transport of blood products when necessary. Responds to blood storage alarms; cleans and disinfects areas and equipment according to laboratory policy and maintains a clean and organized work area. Answers telephones promptly; routes calls or takes messages as appropriate. Rotates beeper on-call for off hours emergency blood needs or equipment failure.
Triage of incoming blood products:
• Receive and triage whole blood and apheresis donations from collections staff.
• Reconcile items transported from mobiles/ centers with triage form.
• Access acceptability of blood transported from mobiles/ centers per SOP.
• Communicate and reconcile collected units with medical records to ensure all history cards are entered.
• Notify mobile staff/ drivers/ charge nurses when items transported from mobiles/ centers are not received from mobile/ centers per SOP.
• Arrange transport containers by collection time to expedite manufacturing of raw material.
• Empty and store transport coolers after raw material removed.
Computer entry/ centrifugation of incoming blood products (CI):
• Based on inventory need, appropriately label/ prepare incoming Whole Blood and apheresis donations.
• Based on donation information, select whole blood and apheresis units for particular product lines.
• Communicate with medical records when there is a delay in medical history management.
• Expedite raw material to manufactured product by requesting help to enter WB-CPDA1 or loading centrifuges without CI as needed.
• Balance units and fill centrifuges with labeled raw material.
• Function as a unit with the associated CD partner (if present) to fill manual or automated plasma expressers to expedite units.
Import/ receive transfusable blood product from other blood centers (IMPORT):
• Coordinate receipt of incoming finished product shipments by recording information on Blood Receipts form as directed in SOP.
• Record representative unit number and temperature of transported product at receipt.
• Obtain pricing from shipping blood center for autologous/ directed products, if applicable.
• Reconcile that all imported products were captured in SafeTrace.
• Discard, modify or quarantine as appropriate when product damage occurs at receipt or when product does not pass product suitability per SOP.
• Store imported products in appropriate temperature storage and place in such a way to ensure distribution of first-in first out.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills required.
• Must be able to accomplish completion of duties with limited supervision.
• Must be able to handle multiple tasks, high levels of stress and effectively set priorities.
• Ability to work as a team member required. Demonstrated customer service skills required.
• Ability to communicate fluently in English, both verbally and in writing required.
• Disagreements and concerns must be brought up in a professional and courteous manner.
• Previous data entry skills preferred.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
High school graduation and two years relevant laboratory experience required;
Actalent connects passion with purpose. Our scalable talent solutions and services capabilities drive value and results and provide the expertise to help our customers achieve more. Every day, our experts around the globe are making an impact. We’re supporting critical initiatives in engineering and sciences that advance how companies serve the world. Actalent promotes consultant care and engagement through experiences that enable continuous development. Our people are the difference. Actalent is an operating company of Allegis Group, the global leader in talent solutions.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
Recruiter: Jean Chambers
Phone: (410) 579-3072