Computer Lab Supervisor
Posting ID: JP-002660609
We have an opportunity with a current customer, a local University, to fill an influential role - one of their Computer Lab Supervisors.
They are looking for someone who has the technical skillset of a helpdesk / desktop support technician who has supervised / managed a team at some point in their career.
This will be a contract to hire opportunity that can interview immediately.
There is no vaccine mandate in place at this time.
Formal job description below:
The Computer Lab Technical Supervisor is responsible for installation, configuration and maintenance of hardware, software, printers, scanners, and peripherals. Duties include ensuring the security of computers, care of the lab equipment, upkeep of supplies, and providing a smooth operation. The incumbent will be responsible for supervision, instruction, training and orientation of student staff, including demonstrating the proper use of computer hardware and software.
Provide technical assistance to patrons at any of the Academic Technology public or instructional labs. Offer basic training on use of supported applications; work with the desktop technicians to ensure proper maintenance and security of all aspects of the computer labs within the Academic Technology Services. Assist faculty with lab reservation or with special software requests; act as a back up to the Lab Manager with duties such as maintaining procedural or training documentation or website content development or updates. Responsible for the cleanliness and safety of all computing labs, conduct daily walkthrough of labs and perform tests to the systems and equipment to ensure that every component of the lab is working properly. Troubleshooting hardware and software issues and performing equipment repairs or arranging for repairs to be completed.
Provide initial orientation on the use of computer hardware and supported applications. Diagnose, repair, and maintain computer hardware, PC & Mac operating systems, software applications, and peripherals. Other responsibilities include testing, evaluating, and recommending hardware and software for assigned labs and instructional support of faculty.
Daily supervision by Computer Lab Manager
Daily supervision of 30 or more Lab Assistants
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Equipment Installation (30%)
a. Configures and installs PC and Mac hardware and software for academic computing labs and Instructional labs
Collects all documentation for installed computers
Collects computer inventory as it relates to physical location for inventory management
b. Assist with configuration and installations of printers and all aspects of their maintenance
c. Assist with installation and maintenance of printer server devices and applications
b. Assists with system security
Installs proper security patching including anti-virus and anti-spam software
c. Installs and sets up new or relocated printers and other peripherals
2. Equipment Maintenance (30%)
a. Diagnoses, repairs, and maintains various computer devices, network connections, workstation hardware and software
b. Performs preventative maintenance and installs upgrades and options on various computer devices, workstation hardware, and software
c. Contacts vendors for technical support and parts procurement both electronically and by telephone
d. Makes regular updates to tech support center to reflect the current status of trouble ticket requests
e. Documents problems and solutions for use by other team members
f. Participates as needed in Desktop Support Services and ITS meetings for process and computing support improvement
g. Performs additional functions incidental to computer support activities
h. Technical documentation on newly supported software and hardware
i. Timely deployment of computers and replacements of leased cycles
j. Staying abreast of emerging lab technology
3. Supervisory Responsibilities (40%)
a. Handle absences, substitute coverage and lab announcement postings
b. Schedule lab assistant hours and maintain payroll of all work study and casual workers
c. Hire and orient new Lab Assistants and provide any technical trainings as needed
d. Evaluate all FWS and Casual employees twice a year
e. Supervises and coach student workers and their performance in the lab(s)
f. Assist in scheduling lab reservations for faculty/staff use
g. Upkeep and maintenance- cleanliness and smooth operation of the lab
h. Promote a strong customer service approach and responsiveness
i. Foster collaboration and dependability and self-discipline
• Associate degree or technical diploma from an accredited higher-education institution and two years relevant experience; or high school degree and five years of relevant experience
• Two years of supervisory experience required.
• Strong knowledge and experience with Windows computers and operating systems and an array of technical proficiencies
• A+ Certification
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher-education institution and two years relevant experience
• Proficiency in network communications
• Knowledge, experience with Mac and Linux computers and operating systems
• Able to work well with largely non-technical clientele and able to communicate effectively with students, faculty, and staff with differing levels of computer knowledge
• Knowledge or experience with the virtual desktop environment and setup
• Proven supervisory and organization skills, work well with minimal supervision, and have the ability to facilitate problem resolution
• Previous experience in Higher Education strongly preferred
• Experience managing computer labs and the software typically used to manage them (Ghost, Deepfreeze)
• Thorough knowledge of the use of microcomputers, their operating systems, their programming languages and the software packages available for them. Basic familiarity with terminal equipment and communications.
o PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• A solid understanding of PC compatible hardware
• Experience in diagnosing problems with computer hardware and software with the ability to apply solutions to the problems
• Experience in the installation of desktop systems including proper security patching and anti-virus deployment
• Experience in dealing with anti-virus, anti-spam, wireless communication, and security in the information technology field
• Experience with Networking Internet Protocols, such as TCP/IP
• Strong telecommunications skills including knowledge of both Ethernet and serial interface standards
• A working knowledge of standard applications (ex. word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, email, internet browsers, etc…)
• Strong customer service orientation
• Positive attitude and willingness to embrace change
• Team player, engaged with the management and team members
• Adhering to the polices, protocols and guidelines set by the department
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills (verbal, written and listening) since he or she will have daily interaction with students, faculty and staff
• Excellent documentation skills
• Ability to multi-task
• Ability to lift 50 pounds (monitors, printers, scanners, etc)
o CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• A+ certification must be completed within 3 months of employment
• Dell certification must be completed within 3 months of employment
• N+ preferred
• MCP preferred
• MCDST a plus
The work environment is primarily in an office setting. The noise level can vary from quiet to moderate depending upon circumstances at any given time.
We're partners in transformation. We help clients activate ideas and solutions to take advantage of a new world of opportunity. We are a team of 80,000 strong, working with over 6,000 clients, including 80% of the Fortune 500, across North America, Europe and Asia. As an industry leader in Full-Stack Technology Services, Talent Services, and real-world application, we work with progressive leaders to drive change. That's the power of true partnership. TEKsystems is an Allegis Group company.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
Recruiter: Jean Chambers
Phone: (410) 579-3072