Distribution Engineering (LCEC)
Posting ID: JP-002660116
Our client is currently seeking Engineering Technologists to join their team in Florida. These Engineering Techs will support power distribution infrastructure upgrades and storm hardening projects across Florida, with drafting and design responsibilities. This person will initially support LCEC, with future support provided to projects for Duke Energy, FP&L, TECO, and other municipal utilities. The work consists of retrofitting transformers, replacing deteriorating cable, moving overhead lines to underground, reconductoring of existing distribution lines, and replacing aging poles.
- Complete site visits and take field notes, including visual inspection, equipment inventory, measurements, sketches, photographs and field conditions. Compare field data to base plan.
- Evaluate loading of various equipment components being installed such as transformation, poles or fusing to ensure a cost-effective, safe and reliable design utilizing client specifications.
- Review and interpret design manuals and details from local jurisdictions.
- Size and specify design requirements.
- Electric distribution designs in MicroStation, using field notes, per the Utility’s standards. Design and draft construction drawings using standard engineering fundamentals for approval by Federal, state and local agencies.
- Prepares projects and job packages using appropriate software, including material estimates and material requisitions of the materials required for the prepared distribution electrical designs.
- Review of plans for proposed construction to determine impacts to the existing distribution systems.
- Develop solutions to existing clearance violations and issues.
- Developing final design plan packages for the implementation of the proposed solution.
- Ensure projects fulfill ISO compliance requirements.
- Attend bi-weekly (or more frequently as necessary) meetings with project team on all projects/tasks.
- Demonstrate experience in performing standard electric distributions system design for electric utility companies.
- Work experience should include extension, improvement, relocation and removal of facilities requiring the application of published standards and calculations using computer aided designs and drafting methods in conjunction with Mapwise, Smallworld, or other GIS systems.
- General electrical theory principles and basic engineering concepts, as well as working knowledge of primary and secondary distribution systems.
- Ability to read utility plans and records.
- Familiar with NESC clearance codes as they apply to secondary voltage.
- Experience with NISC is a plus.
- Ability to perform QA on large, complex projects.
- Experience with interfacing in clients work management system and other design programs (BOUD, Maximo, CUest, MyWorld).
- Preferred Software Skills: Expert Designer, SmallWorld, MyWorld, Maximo, Enable, Storms, GIS.
- Distribution Line construction experience a plus.
Actalent connects passion with purpose. Our scalable talent solutions and services capabilities drive value and results and provide the expertise to help our customers achieve more. Every day, our experts around the globe are making an impact. We’re supporting critical initiatives in engineering and sciences that advance how companies serve the world. Actalent promotes consultant care and engagement through experiences that enable continuous development. Our people are the difference. Actalent is an operating company of Allegis Group, the global leader in talent solutions.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
Recruiter: Jean Chambers
Phone: (410) 579-3072