Animal Research Technician (Large Animal)
Posting ID: JP-002662818
Description: Provides care for laboratory animals before and after surgical procedures, including ongoing monitoring, data collection and providing for their basic needs in support of interventional and studies in accordance with SOPs and study protocols while adhering to GLP and non-GLP study guidelines as required.
• Maintains knowledge of applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in order to successfully perform job duties, and GLP regulations in order to implement appropriate regulations as they apply to the non-clinical research environment and individual protocols.
• Dispenses medications as prescribed by veterinarian and/or protocol specifications.
• Performs and documents a variety of activities, including but not limited to, routine clinical observations, charting of physiological data and animal health status, taking study-required animal weights, documentation of maintenance medicine administration, etc.
• Administers start-up medications, monitors the fasting of animals, and performs pre-procedure animal weights and clinical observations.
• Monitors animals during their critical recovery phase on the days following surgery, including performing TPRs (temp, pulse, respiration), auscultation of the heart and lungs, assessing pain of animals at incision sites, changing wound dressings and administering medications.
• Performs intravenous blood draws.
• Performs preventive health maintenance such as administering maintenance medications, administering anthelmintics and vaccinations, ointment applications, hoof and nail trims including sedation as needed, bathing and ear cleaning.
• Performs all aspects of veterinary care and general husbandry procedures according to established procedures, guidelines and study protocols that meet the acceptable criteria of the veterinarian.
• Communicates with veterinary staff, supervisor and study directors regarding living conditions and medical status of animals.
• Assists with training newer large animal research technicians.
• Assists with other duties as assigned.
Additional Skills & Qualifications:
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in veterinary, biology, or other animal science-related field is required, and a Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) or ALAT certification is preferred.
- Technical, hands-on experience with some variation of job duties listed above (preferably with large animals, but dogs and cats will be most common)
- Must be comfortable with preclinical research
Actalent connects passion with purpose. Our scalable talent solutions and services capabilities drive value and results and provide the expertise to help our customers achieve more. Every day, our experts around the globe are making an impact. We’re supporting critical initiatives in engineering and sciences that advance how companies serve the world. Actalent promotes consultant care and engagement through experiences that enable continuous development. Our people are the difference. Actalent is an operating company of Allegis Group, the global leader in talent solutions.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
Recruiter: Jean Chambers
Phone: (410) 579-3072