Lead Data Engineer
World Wide Technology
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2023
Posting ID: 5000919125306
LEAD DATA ENGINEER
Fueled by creativity and ideation, World Wide Technology strives to accelerate our growth and nurture future innovation. From our world class culture, to our generous benefits, to developing cutting edge technology solutions, WWT constantly works towards its mission of creating a profitable growth company that is a great place to work for all. We encourage our employees to embrace collaboration, get creative and think outside the box when it comes to delivering some of the most advanced technology solutions for our customers.
At a glance, WWT was founded in 1990 in St. Louis, Missouri. We employ over 8,000 individuals and closed nearly $16 Billion in revenue. We have an inclusive culture and believe our core values are the key to company and employee success. WWT is proud to announce that it has been named on the FORTUNE "100 Best Places to Work For®" list for the 11th consecutive year!
Want to work with highly motivated individuals that come together to form a high-performance team? Come join WWT today!
Who is the Consulting Services Team and why join?
The Team: We are hyper-focused on providing business outcomes for our clients. We take on the most challenging problems our customers face and provide innovative solutions that can involve data strategy, analytical modeling, cloud strategy, digital transformation, AI/ML platforms, and security services. We are made up of experienced management consultants, data scientists with PhDs from the top universities, and engineers with experience in industry and government agencies. Our goal is to bring together business acumen with full-stack technical know-how to develop innovative solutions for our clients' most complex challenges.
What will you be doing?
Role Overview: The Lead Data Engineer role requires experience in both traditional warehousing technologies (e.g., Teradata, Oracle, SQL Server) and modern database/data warehouse technologies (e.g., AWS Redshift, Azure Synapse, Google Big Query, Snowflake), as well as expertise in ETL tools and frameworks (e.g., SSIS, Azure Synapse Analytics, AWS Glue, Matillion, Talend), with a focus on how these technologies affect business outcomes. This person should have experience with both on-premise and cloud deployments of these technologies and in transforming data to adhere to logical and physical data models, data architectures, and engineering a dataflow to meet business needs. In this role, the Lead Data Engineer will serve of the technical lead of diverse data engineering projects. The role includes both hands-on engineering as well as the management and mentoring of more junior engineers.
- Lead teams of data engineers and analysts from WWT and WWT's clients in development and implementation of data solutions (e.g., data lake/warehouse environments)
- Hands on development of high-performance distributed data warehouses, distributed analytic systems and cloud architectures
- Serve as trusted advisor to clients unfamiliar with modern cloud data platforms/tools
- Participate in developing relational and non-relational data models designed for optimal storage and retrieval
- Develop, test, and debug batch and streaming data pipelines to populate databases and object stores from multiple data sources using a variety of scripting languages; provide recommendations to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality
- Work along-side data scientists, supporting the development of high-performance algorithms, models, and prototypes
- Implement data quality metrics, standards, guidelines; automate data quality checks / routines as part of data processing frameworks; validate flow of information
- Ensure that Data Warehousing and Big Data systems meet business requirements and industry practices including but not limited to automation of system builds, security requirements, performance requirements and logging/monitoring requirements
- Work on Automating the entire Data Pipeline and migrating code to higher environments (Test/Production) via Agile best practices
- Work with client teams to collect business requirements and demo solutions at regular intervals
- At least 7 years of experience as a data engineer and/or data architect
- Experience managing teams of data engineers, data scientists, or other technical resources in development and implementation of data solutions.
- Experience with cloud migrations projects
- Ability to translate a logical data model into a relational or non-relational solution
- Experience with at least one traditional data warehousing technology (e.g., Teradata, Oracle, SQL Server) and/or modern platforms (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Expert in two or more of the following ETL tools: SSIS, Azure Data Factory / Synapse Analytics, AWS Glue, GCP Data Flow, Matillion, Talend, Informatica, Fivetran)
- Experience in one scripting language (e.g., python, java or scala)
- Experience in SQL scripting, tuning, indexing, partitioning, data access patterns, and scaling strategies
- Hands on experience in orchestration tools like -- Redwood, Airflow, Cloud Composer
- Experience in DataOps methodology and DBT will be beneficial
- Hands-on experience in database development using views, SQL scripts and transformations
- Experience with data integrations and data processing for business intelligence and analytics workloads
- Ability to translate complex business problems into data-driven solutions
- Working knowledge of reporting tools like Power BI , Tableau etc.
- Ability to identify data quality issues that could affect business outcomes
- Flexibility in working across different database technologies and propensity to learn new platforms on-the-fly
- Strong interpersonal skills
Added bonus experience:
- Certification in any of the modern cloud data platforms or tools (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP, Snowflake, Databricks, Fivetran, Matillion)
- Experience with data streaming technologies
- Consulting experience
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is more than a commitment at WWT -- it is the foundation of what we do. Through diverse networks and pipelines, we have a clear vision: to create a Great Place to Work for All. We believe inclusion includes U. Be who U are at WWT!
Preferred Locations: NJ, GA, MO, CA, WA and potentially others.
Some WWT customers have a COVID-19 vaccine requirement. In order to work on projects for these customers, employees must be fully vaccinated or have an appropriate religious or medical accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Differently Abled
Job Number: #23-0081
Posting Locations:Maryland Heights, Missouri
Recruiter: Jean Chambers
Phone: (410) 579-3072