WordPress Backend Developer
Posting ID: JP-002665644
Our client's Web Services team operates and maintains enterprise-level public-facing web infrastructure, develops custom tools for use by campus units, and creates interfaces for connecting WordPress websites to other enterprise applications. The team is comprised of web developers and system administrators, working closely with the IT Accessibility Office, University Communications, and other campus partners to establish best practices for web development, hosting and content management. In addition, the team provides consulting and tier 2 & 3 support for web content creators, and creates resources to educate content creators on best practices.
The WordPress Backend Developer is part of a team responsible for the development, maintenance, and support of the University Web environments. Specifically, this position is instrumental in the ongoing management and development of the content management environments built on the WordPress platform. The position will also participate in the design and management of the web server infrastructure, develop custom integrations with campus systems, and collaborate on other application development projects within the unit while also being responsible for collaboration with the campus web community on shared endeavors.
The first 50% of this person's time will be spent working on a backlog of requests. These could be maintenance requests, requests for custom plugins, custom themes, website migrations/refreshes but a majority of the backlog is website migrations. The other 50 percent will be gathering requirements and taking incoming request tickets. At the moment the amount of volume the team is facing is too high and they don't have the bandwidth to handle it. This person will also be expected to help mentor incoming student workers who will be working part time so communication is very important.
Top Skills Details:
Additional Skills & Qualifications:
• Experience in relational SQL database use and design.
• Experience with Git / GitHub (or equivalent version control system).
• Experience with developing and consuming RESTful APIs.
• Knowledge of web standards (e.g. W3C, WCAG 2.1, HTML, CSS).
• Experience building themes or plugins for a CMS (eg. WordPress, Drupal, etc).
• Effective verbal and written communication skills in both technical and non-technical subjects.
• Experience supporting the WordPress CMS platform, specifically in developing plugins in a multisite network using the WordPress block editor.
• Experience writing PHP unit tests, end-to-end tests, and/or configuring visual regression testing for websites or applications.
• Experience writing both technical and end user focused documentation.
• Experience leading training workshops and public speaking.
• Experience providing customer support.
We're partners in transformation. We help clients activate ideas and solutions to take advantage of a new world of opportunity. We are a team of 80,000 strong, working with over 6,000 clients, including 80% of the Fortune 500, across North America, Europe and Asia. As an industry leader in Full-Stack Technology Services, Talent Services, and real-world application, we work with progressive leaders to drive change. That's the power of true partnership. TEKsystems is an Allegis Group company.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
Recruiter: Jean Chambers
Phone: (410) 579-3072